[Haskell-cafe] Can Your Programming Language Do This?

Bernard Pope bjpop at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 2 05:14:45 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 10:10 +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> >From the excellent programming blog "Joel on software", a very good
> text if you need to convince Java or C programmers that functional
> programming is a A Good Thing.
>
> Probably all the readers of this list will find it brings nothing new
> (that's perfectly right) but it is oriented towards ordinary
> programmers :-)
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/08/01.html

Curiously, I did something similar in my first year Haskell tute this
week, which is the first week of semester (though I forgot to include
the Swedish chef). My class studied C in the previous semester, so to
motivate Haskell I got them to implement a polymorphic zipWith in C.

I've put the tutorial on my web page in case anyone is curious:
   http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~bjpop/

Under the heading: "433-152 (Zipping Lists)"

Cheers,
Bernie.