[Haskell-cafe] Current situation regarding global IORefs

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Sat Apr 29 19:40:47 EDT 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> And yes, somewhere there's some global mutable state in the OS.
> I've never claimed that it should be totally forbidden.  Various
> circumstances forces it upon us.  What I've been claiming is that
> it should be avoided where possible.  Which is almost always.

The strict object-capability style of programming makes this a strict
rule to prevent capabilities from leaking.
http://www.erights.org/talks/thesis/

Tony.
VIKING NORTH UTSIRE SOUTH UTSIRE: SOUTH 7 OR GALE 8, OCCASIONALLY SEVERE GALE
9 IN VIKING AND NORTH UTSIRE, DECREASING 5 OR 6, THEN VEERING SOUTHWEST 6 OR 7
IN VIKING. RAIN AT TIMES. MODERATE OR GOOD.