[Haskell-cafe] Current situation regarding global IORefs

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Mon Apr 24 08:55:55 EDT 2006

Adrian Hey wrote:

I was going to respond, but Cale very eloquently said most
of what I was thinking.

Let me just add one thing.  Sometimes you hear the argument
"I need a global IORef here because it's to track the use of my
single screen" (or keyboard, or elevator, or some some
other gizmo in th real world).
I think such decisions are just generally poor design, and
it should not be done in any language.  The number of physical
resources that a program can control should never be assumed
to be one; things change.

	-- Lennart