[Haskell-cafe] Re: Control.Exceptions and MonadIO

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Sat Apr 22 15:15:45 EDT 2006

oleg at pobox.com wrote:
> Robert Dockins wrote:
>> One additional (very unfortunate) point is that higher-order IO monad
>> combinators will not work on your monad, eg, the ones in
>> Control.Exception.
>
> Although that is true in general, for many useful and interesting
> cases (including ReaderT, the state transformer, and the newtype
> wrapping of IO) one _can_ use catch, bracket etc. constructs in
> MonadIO. Please see this message and the follow-up discussion:
>
> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2006-February/017547.html

I still don't see how this helps with the StateT transformer for example,
because the state would be lost which isn't much use. For example, here is
my attempt to implement a version of bracket_ which would work with an
arbitrary StrictMonadIO:

class MonadIO m => StrictMonadIO m where
  getUnliftIO :: m (m a -> IO a)

instance StrictMonadIO IO where
  getUnliftIO = return id

instance StrictMonadIO m => StrictMonadIO (StateT s m) where
  getUnliftIO = StateT $ \s ->
                   do
                     unliftIO <- getUnliftIO
                     return (\(StateT s_mas) ->
                               do
                                  (a, _) <- unliftIO (s_mas s) -- NEW STATE
LOST
                                  return a
                            , s) -- OLD STATE IS RETURNED

bracket_ :: StrictMonadIO m => m a -> m b -> m c -> m c
bracket_ a b c = do
                   unliftIOa <- getUnliftIO
                   unliftIOb <- getUnliftIO
                   unliftIOc <- getUnliftIO
                   liftIO $ bracket_ (unliftIOa a) (unliftIOb b) (unliftIOc
c)

There are some points that are problematic:

1) Any changes made to the state by unlifted actions are discarded
2) The implementation of bracket_ seems unnecessarily messy because of the
strange limitation that higher rank polymorphism is not allowed ie the
following definition gives a compiler error:

   getUnliftIO :: m (forall a. m a -> IO a)  -- what's wrong with this?

So the essential question is: does there exist any way to implement a
bracket_ that will work properly with a state monad?

I'm also wondering: exactly why is it impossible to implement the Exception
functions for an arbitrary MonadIO? Surely the higher order functions could
just be implemented using some very low level primitives like:

    push_block_async :: IO ()
    pop_block_async :: IO ()
    push_unblock_async :: IO ()
    pop_unblock_async :: IO ()