[Haskell-cafe] Advice needed on best way to simulate an STL vector

Christophe Poucet christophe.poucet at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 14:59:57 EDT 2006

Either way,

Even an STL vector has O(N) insert because it needss to shift all the
items past the current element where insertion is taking place.  If your
application is insert intensive the most ideal structure is a map.
Concerning the suggestion regarding doubling the capacity, I don't
believe that STL actually doubles the allocated size.  Most applications
that use vector-like data structures (STL Vector, Ruby Array) typically
use the fibonacci sequence for the sizes because the doubling grows too
fast.

Cheers