[Haskell-cafe] Re: coherence when overlapping?

Martin Sulzmann sulzmann at comp.nus.edu.sg
Thu Apr 13 04:40:25 EDT 2006

I believe that GHC's overlapping instance extensions
effectively uses inequalities.

Why do you think that 'inequalities' model 'best-fit'?

instance C Int      -- (1)
instance C a        -- (2)

under a 'best-fit' instance reduction strategy
we would resolve C a by using (2).

'best-fit' should be very easy to implement.
Simply order instances (resulting CHRs) in an appropriate
'best-fit' order.

In case of

instance C Int
instance a =!=Int | C a    (2')

we can't reduce C a (because we can't satisfy a=!=Int)

Notice that (2') translates to

rule C a | a =!=Int <==> True

I think it's better to write a =!=Int not as part of the instance
context but write it as a guard constraint.

I don't think there's any issue for an implementation (either using
'best-fit' or explicit inequalities). The hard part is to establish
inference properties such as completeness etc.

Martin