[Haskell-cafe] web servers

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Apr 10 06:52:41 EDT 2006

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Tim Newsham wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>   I'm new to the list, been on irc a bit.  I'm still learning haskell.
> Wanted to say Hi before getting in to things...
>
> I'm interested in real-world programs in haskell, especially ones where
> security and formal methods are important.  I'm looking at web servers right
> now.  I found a copy of Simon Marlow's HWS on haskell.org's cvs server.  I
> know there's a newer plugin version, but I cant find a working link to the
> actual code.  I've been able to get the code to compile after a while, but it
> still has some warnings of deprecated features which I havent been able to
> get rid of (if anyone's interested in helping out, let me know).  Anyway, I
> configured it an ran it and it works, although I have noticed two security
> flaws in it which need fixing.  Is it possible there is a newer version with
> these flaws fixed?

I also tried installing HWS, did not succeed in using the default build
procedure because of too many dependencies, and also getting the warnings
about the deprecated features you mention. Eventually I got it running but
it ran into heap overflow after some time of running. :-(

> I'm trying to decided if I should sink some time into HWS or if I should use
> another server.

The web-server provided with WASH works for me, but it is hard to compile,
because there are some huge Haskell modules included.