[Haskell-cafe] Strafunski

Joost Visser joost.visser at di.uminho.pt
Mon Apr 3 12:03:33 EDT 2006

Hi Chris,

Changes in the libraries of GHC have broken Strafunski compatibility
in the past. I have not upgraded to GHC 6.5 myself so I'm not sure if
this is the case again. Which versions of DrIFT and Strafunski are
you using?

Based on what you write, it seems new instances for Typeable have
been added to the libs (possibly using deriving), which means some of
your own instances are now redundant. You'll have to remove them
(which will then break compatibility of your code with 6.4.1, sigh).

Alternatively, you may consider to switch from the "drift-default"
mode of Strafunski to the "deriving" mode. This means that you will
be relying on the Typeable+Data classes rather than on the Typeable
+Term classes. You make the switch simply by changing the search
path, all your strategic functions should work like before. I guess
GHC 6.5 supports deriving both for Typeable and Data (personally, I
prefer to use DriFT rather than the deriving clause, because it gives
me a bit more control over visibility of instances). For details, see
the section "Supported models of functional strategies" in the README
file of StrategyLib.

Regards,
Joost

--
Dr. ir. Joost Visser   | Departamento de Informática
phone  +351-253-604461 | Universidade do Minho
fax    +351-253-604471 | mailto:Joost.Visser at di.uminho.pt
mobile +351-91-6253618 | http://www.di.uminho.pt/~joost.visser