[Haskell-cafe] casting numerical types

Matthias Fischmann fis at wiwi.hu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 2 04:51:20 EDT 2006

Ok.  I was hoping that there was a common ancestor of Integral and
Fractional.  Now I realize that I can be more precise about what I
wanted:

   avg :: (FractionalOrIntegral a) => [a] -> a
   avg xs = sum (map fromFractionalOrIntegral xs) / (fromIntegral (length xs))

But although it there may be a sound type system supporting this it
looks a little weird...

thanks,
matthias