[Haskell-cafe] newbe question

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 21:59:27 EDT 2005

On 27 Sep 2005, at 16:53, feucht at uni-koblenz.de wrote:

> On 27 Sep, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> obviously, Hugs thinks that =- is a special operator.  In Haskell
>> you have the
>> ability to define your own operators, so it would be possible to
>> define an
>> operator =-.  I would suggest that you always put spaces around
>> the = in
>> declarations.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Wolfgang
>>

> Hello,
> thank you for fast reply.
> Ok, but what is the semantic of '=-' ? If it's an operator, it should
> have some impact (right term?).

The semantics are whatever you define them to be:

(=-) x y = doSomeFunkyStuff x y

Note that this also introduces problems with comments, a common
mistake people make is to not put a space after the -- comment
symbol, so they may end up with:

--| something

The compiler then interprets --| as an operator.

Bob