[Haskell] Re: [Haskell-cafe] Haskell versus Lisp

David F. Place d at vidplace.com
Wed Sep 21 09:23:28 EDT 2005

On Sep 21, 2005, at 3:53 AM, Immanuel Litzroth wrote:

> Ever heard of the loop macro?

Yes, the loop macro is a good example for the argument against lisp.
Lisp has features to support iteration that date back to the time
before it was understood that tail recursion is equivalent to
iteration. In fact, even in the early '90s most common lisp compilers
didn't implement tail-merging.  I doubt there is any program
implemented using the loop macro that couldn't be more elegantly
implemented recursively.  In fact, when writing in lisp or scheme, I
always write recursively now that I can depend on compilers to tail-
merge.

David F. Place
mailto:d at vidplace.com