[Haskell-cafe] Re: Network parsing and parsec

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Sep 20 08:54:26 EDT 2005

On 2005-09-16, Andrew Pimlott <andrew at pimlott.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 06:11:58PM -0700, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
>> I don't see why this would be more error-prone than any other approach.
>
> Hmm... I take that back.  I don't know anything about the IMAP protocol,
> but after imagining for a few moments what it might be like, I can see
> how it could be more difficult than my example.
>
> The user state of the parser might help you...

Hmm, can you elaborate on that?

Basically, I *really* want to get away frmo having to use hGetContents.
It is just not at all friendly for an interactive netwrk protocol.  If I
were just streaming a large file from an FTP server, it would be fine,
but even using it to begin with involves using Handles in a nonstandard
way (since there must be a separate Handle for writing, since
hGetContents sents the Handle to be half-closed) that is apparently not
well-supported.

-- John