[Haskell-cafe] wxHaskell: convenience functions

Mark Carter mcturra2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 13:33:01 EDT 2005

Re: [Haskell-cafe] wxHaskell: convenience functions

Actually, I can see how my requirement of not wanting to pass in cbEdit
might not be so good. From an FP point of view, that's just asking for
trouble. A better solution would appear to be to put the cbEdit in as a
parameter, and just face the fact that all callers will be required to
pass an extra parameter.

Mark Carter wrote:

 > I'm experimenting with wxHaskell, and I've got something like:
 >
 > main = run mainFrame
 >
 > mainFrame = do -- main application frame
 >    cbEdit <- checkBox p1 [text := "Edit Mode",  on command ::=
onCbEdit textlog]
 >  where
 >
 > It would be useful to have some convenience function, let's say,
isEditing, which works out whether cbEdit is checked, or not. That way,
one could just pass this in as a parameter without requiring any extra
code. The problem is, I can't see how it can be done. I've tried various
things in the main section, and nothing worked. I tried putting the
following defintion into the where clause:

 >    isEditing = do
 >        checkedp <- get cbEdit checked
 >        return checkedp
 >
 > but the compiler complained that cbEdit is not in scope. I /could/
pass in cbEdit as a parameter to isEditing, but I'd rather not.