[Haskell-cafe] Haskell versus Lisp

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Fri Sep 16 10:30:45 EDT 2005

Am Freitag, 16. September 2005 15:06 schrieb Mark Carter:
> Plus you can use macros to extend the language.

I don't know really about LISP macros but aren't they a bit like Template
Haskell?

Since Haskell (even without Template Haskell) is a small but flexible language
you can construct domain-specific langauges just by writing a library and
using Haskell with this library as your domain-specific language.  I don't
know LISP very much but I suppose that there are many things you can do in
LISP which you can also do in Haskell.

Two big advantages of Haskell over LISP are lazy evaluation and its strong,
flexible type system. Lazy evaluation makes the code a lot easier, cleaner,
more functional.  Strong typing may be too restricting if the type system is
not powerful enough.  But since Haskell's type system is very powerful, I
practically never miss dynamic typing.

> [...]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang