[Haskell-cafe] Binary parser combinators and pretty printing

Einar Karttunen ekarttun at cs.helsinki.fi
Thu Sep 15 02:29:20 EDT 2005

On 13.09 23:31, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> How about all these points together?:
>
> a) Simple monadic interface

I think I already have this - minus packaging and documentation.

> b) Using better combinators

This is lacking.

> c) Using TH to generate code for the simple cases

I have TH for generating code, but that is not yet general
purpose (the code comes from SerTH).

> d) Using type-classes

As most real-world protocols will need customization I cannot
see much improvement here. Keeping the types of the serialized
data explicit makes sense. Otherwise changing an innocent Haskell
data declaration would cause on-wire data mismatch rather than
compile-time type errors.

> I've played with such frameworks a couple of times and I feel it's time
> to make a library useful for others. If you're interested, we could
> cooperate.

I would be interested in cooperation and getting an usefull library released.
Currently my parsers just use [FastString] (thus support lazy IO), peek and
poke.

- Einar Karttunen