[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Mixing monadic and non-monadic functions

Ben Lippmeier Ben.Lippmeier at anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 8 05:38:28 EDT 2005

 > Do you disagree with that
 > assertion? Or are you just saying that the syntax change as I propose
 > it is called "effect analysis"?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the usability of IO and State
monads in particular, not more general ones.

When I was talking about effect analysis it was along the same lines as
how (fun1 :: a -> IO b) and (fun2 :: a -{IO}> b) are basically
equivalent - though IMHO fun2 can be easier to use because it's type is
a bit more orthognal to a "pure" function (fun3 :: a -> b).

Ben.