[Haskell-cafe] How to debug GHC

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Sat Sep 3 15:26:52 EDT 2005

Bernard Pope <bjpop at cs.mu.OZ.AU> writes:

> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 14:48 -0700, Frederik Eaton wrote:
(snip)
>> Are the following correct?
>>
>> 1. Hat requires users to restrict themselves to a certain small subset
>> of the standard libraries, and to use hmake
>
> Depends what you mean by standard libraries. As far as I know it
> supports all the libraries which are specified in the Haskell 98 Report.
> I believe it also supports some libraries in the new hierarchy that come
> with the compilers. Also, many libraries can be used by Hat, if you
> include them in your own source tree. Supporting all libraries that come
> packed with GHC would be nice, but there are numerous hurdles that need
> to be jumped over to get to that point. For instance, some libraries do
> not use portable Haskell code. Also the issue of how libraries are
> distributed in Haskell is a little bit in flux at the moment, since
> Cabal is still being polished.

This doesn't really have anything to do with Cabal as far as I know.
Hat comes with pre-translated libraries for a subset of the GHC
libraries.  It's true that the libraries that come with the compilers
may change in the future, partly due to Cabal, but I don't think this
is the reason that Hat doesn't come with all the libraries.  Hat
doesn't even use Cabal, AFAIK, but hmake.

>> 2. Buddha doesn't work with GHC 6.4
>
> True. This is a cabal issue, that I haven't had time to resolve. buddha
> is limited to even fewer libraries than Hat.

Why is this a Cabal issue?  Are you interested in adding Buddah
support to Cabal?

peace,

  isaac