[Haskell-cafe] Monads as control structures?

Creighton Hogg wchogg at lotus.hep.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 27 11:54:22 EDT 2005

Hi,
so I'm a newbie getting used to Haskell.  I'm writing some
simple things like genetic algorithms in it for practice,
and I keep coming across something that really bugs me:
are there any standard libraries that allow you to
do imperative style for or while loops using monads to keep
track of state?

I know there's things like "until", but honestly that's not
quite what I'm looking for.

I just think there should be a simple way to say "execute
this block of code 10 times" without having to wrap it up in
recursion.

Haskell seems to me to be a very powerful language, and it
looks like it should be possible to define control
structures such as for loops using monads.