[Haskell-cafe] Help using QuickCheck

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Fri Oct 21 15:45:14 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 09:09:41PM +0200, Benjamin Franksen wrote:
> Many thanks! I wish I had remembered that I had this kind of problem
> before: ghc reports two errors, of which the /second/ one is the 'real'
> problem and the first one is just a by-product.

The case in your original message is particularly annoying, but at least
it only affects ghci.  I thought it had been fixed[1], but it is still
present in 6.4.1, so perhaps it's waiting for 6.5?

> This practically never
> happens with C compilers which I (must, sadly) use every day and thus I
> always tend to disregard all error messages but the first.

I generally find that most of GHC's errors are real, ie they don't
change much when I fix earlier errors.  (It seems to report only one
error per function to achieve that?)  It's fun to work through the dozen
reported mistakes, then compile again to see how many I actually fixed.
:-)

Andrew

[1] http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1156554&group_id=8032&atid=108032