[Haskell-cafe] FastString a misnomer

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Fri Oct 21 11:50:11 EDT 2005

Hello Simon,

>> Ok, so a rough structure of the final lib would be:
>>
>>     Data                Data                   System
>>     |                   |                      |
>>     ByteArray (?)       PackedString           Posix
>>                         |      |               |
>>                         UTF8   Latin1 ...      MMap (providing
>> mmapFile :: FilePath -> ByteArray)

SM> Remind me what Data.ByteArray is for?  Seems like it would overlap a lot
SM> with Data.PackedString.Latin1 and UArray Word8.

it is a List-like interface to immutable unboxed arrays with 0-based
indexing, which will be used in PackedString.Latin1, PackedString.UTF8
and, if this type will be parameterized with base type, as i
suggested - in all other PackedString implementations and will be
also useful for other libs/apps

... btw, faking List interface is a "poor man classes" solution. at
least in Haskell 2 we need to create Collection classes hierarchy.
even C++ has such beast!

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com