[Haskell-cafe] FPS lib

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Wed Oct 19 08:36:31 EDT 2005

Hello John,

Wednesday, October 19, 2005, 4:23:00 AM, you wrote:

JM> can we add Data.PackedString and my PackedString (in the jhc repo) to
JM> the testing lineup?

JM> actually, is the test code available somewhere?

i think, that larger testsuite for string-implementation libraries need
to be established. this testsuite must, of course, include testing of
individual operations and more complex scenarios which can be seen as
typical for string usage in real programs

it will be also interesting to add [Char] as possible string
implementation in these tests - to see what improvements can we get
over standard strings implementation

i also need to say that lack of large string-processing library and
very non-efficient default representation of strings sufficiently
beats, imho, haskell/ghc as "real-world", "imperative", and
"scripting" language. for example, my own program, which scans hard
drive and saves all found filenames in memory, need 3-4 times more
memory than analogous programs written in C++. another time, when i
tried to write bencmarking script, i found that half of my code was
just realization of string-processing functions, such as trim_spaces
and replace

inlcuding large and efficient string-processing library in GHC (and
then Haskell) will be very helpful for such areas of programming

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com