[Haskell-cafe] Re: Interest in helping w/ Haskell standard

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Sat Oct 15 06:31:59 EDT 2005

Ketil Malde <ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no> writes:

> David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:
>
> >> Bah, simple libraries.  They don't have to be part of the Standard
> >> Prelude.
>
> > I completely agree.  I'd rather decrease the number of libraries defined in
> > the language itself and decouple library standardization from the
> > definition of the language standard.  Libraries can much more easily be
> > developed and improved.
>
> I'd vote for moving map, null and lookup from Prelude to an explicit
> List import (like insert already is).

I hope we decide to reduce the size of the Prelude to the minimum
possible.  Most of what is currently in there can be more conveniently
dumped into libraries.  Then we could have one or more standard
aggregations of useful libraries, e.g. BeginnersPrelude which has no
classes, IntermediatePrelude, and AdvancedPrelude.

Regards,
    Malcolm