[Haskell-cafe] Interest in helping w/ Haskell standard

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Oct 14 18:55:34 EDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 10:42:24AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 12 October 2005 23:50, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
> > (I'm specifically interested in seeing SPJ's records proposal
> > included, and a new module system).
>
> Highly unlikely, IMHO.  A new revision of the Haskell standard is not
> the place for testing new research, rather it's a clear specification of
> existing well-understood language features.

Indeed.  I'd love to have a new Haskell 06 that adds just a carefully (and
conservatively) selected subset of ghc's extensions, if that meant that my
code would also run on hugs and jhc.

Like everyone else, there are *some* experimental features I'd love to see
go in, most particularly John Meacham's class aliases proposal, which seems
like (perhaps from my naive perspective) a moderately conservative change
that opens up huge possibilities for improved libraries (which could then
be developed to the new standard).
--
David Roundy