[Haskell-cafe] Re: Interest in helping w/ Haskell standard

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Oct 14 10:56:35 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 03:34:33PM +0100,
 Jon Fairbairn <Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote
 a message of 37 lines which said:

> > Because the language used inside these strings is standard,
> > multi-language, widely used and documented?
>
> 10,000 lemmings can't be wrong?

Right, disregard ASCII and specify the lexemes of Haskell 2 in a new
encoding scheme, much better than ASCII :-)

> Not even the syntax of such regexps is checked at compile time.

Of course, from the compiler's PoV, they are just strings. May be a
new form of strings, like in Perl, to show that this is a regexp?

> Since Unicode is increasingly adopted, we could just use «regexp»

The Unicode standard for regexps, UTR #18
(http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr18/) uses the very same standard
syntax that you criticize.