[Haskell-cafe] Interest in helping w/ Haskell standard

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Thu Oct 13 07:29:57 EDT 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 09:42, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 12 October 2005 23:50, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
> > (I'm specifically interested in seeing SPJ's records proposal
> > included, and a new module system).
> Highly unlikely, IMHO.  A new revision of the Haskell standard is not
> the place for testing new research, rather it's a clear specification of
> existing well-understood language features.

... and, in the case of the Standard Prelude section, or equivalent, a
specification of well-understood functions that the spec authors agree
"should" be provided in all implementations. I would hope that arbitrary
binary I/O - to cite an important example - would not be considered a
"research topic", as it is actually quite trivial. (It is, however, one of
the "must haves" for Haskell to be considered for use in production systems.)