[Haskell-cafe] Endian conversion

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 12:48:49 EDT 2005

I don't want to replicate all the code in NewBinary for Little/Big
endian. I'm looking for an elegant solution (Haskell, the elegant
language, you know).

I don't care about cross-compiling stuff and the server that I need
to work with runs on Wintel whereas I can be either on Windows or Mac
or Linux.

Last but not least, I also need to read floats. These would be IEEE
754 (standard) but I still need to swap the bytes around.

I still don't know how to do this without rewriting all the get/put
functions in NewBinary. Marc Ziegert's code is very hepful but still
incomplete. I think Marc's TH bit

be = $( (1::CChar)/=(unsafePerformIO $ with (1::CInt) $ peekByteOff
`flip` 0) ) :: Bool

is the way to determine if you are BE or LE but how do I use it to
read a Float and a 32-bit Int for example?

If anyone would be kind enough to give me a complete example I would
appreciate it.

     Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/idealab