[Haskell-cafe] Alternatives to hs-plugins?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Oct 6 09:16:54 EDT 2005

I'm thinking of porting my OfflineIMAP program from Python to Haskell.
In the configuration file for OfflineIMAP, I permit people to use a
Python lambda expression for some things.  For instance:

folderfilter = lambda foldername: not re.search('(^Trash$|Del)', foldername)

So I think it would be useful to be able to do something similar in
Haskell.  hs-plugins immediately occured to me.  But there are several
problems with it:

1. Only works with GHC (no Hugs)

2. Only as portable as ghci.  So quite a few platforms that are
   important to me would be excluded (Alpha, ARM, AIX, etc.)

I'm wondering if there are any alternatives?  Can a Haskell program
using Hugs call Hugs to evaluate an arbitrary hunk of code?  Is there
any portable Haskell interpreter written in Haskell?

Thanks,

-- John