[Haskell-cafe] Endian conversion

Marc Ziegert coeus at gmx.de
Mon Oct 3 11:31:15 EDT 2005

nice project. (except that winonly-closedsource-....thing. my condolence.)
on which platform are you programming? mac? linux-ppc?

i see that you understood most of that code.
big-endian-test: the number 1234 has two ends (like a sausage), the end with the 1 is the big end (1000), the 4 is the little one. if you save he number 1 as int in little endian, then you write the bytes 01 00 00 00, and in big endian it is 00 00 00 01. so, if you read the first char, then it will either be ==1 (little) or /=1 (big).
to write that LittleEndian stuff, you only need to replace Big with Little and "if be then" with "if not be then". it is the question wether to use he function xyz0(derived) or xyzR(reverse order of bytes). i hope, that the compiler optimizes "if True" away.

to use the Storables, read the docu about the libs(functions)
Network.Socket(sendBufTo)
Foreign.Marshal.Utils(with)
Foreign.Storable(peekThis,peekThat)

you just need to read "LittleEndian CInt", remove that "LittleEndian"-constructor, work with that CInt, put the "BigEndian"-constructor at that CInt, write it...

maybe you need to convert LE and BE enums, too. use "(toEnum . fromEnum)" to convert between any enum and CInt.

good n8.
- marc