[Haskell-cafe] first post

raptor raptor at tvskat.net
Wed Nov 30 20:32:13 EST 2005

hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to parse a text file, but
these type-conversations are just killing me!
Whats wrong with following code :

module Main where

main = putStrLn "hi"

parse str = take 10 str

load = do
        content <- readFile "parse.hs"
        return content

when try :
Prelude> parse load
<interactive>:1:6:
    Couldn't match `[a]' against `IO String'
      Expected type: [a]
      Inferred type: IO String
    In the first argument of `parse', namely `load'
    In the definition of `it': it = parse load

i tried different combinations, but still cant figure out...
How do u use an "IO String" in normal "String" functions..
I want to particulary slurp file in a string and then make
funny things with it...spliting to lines,parsing them and
building hash like strucutre of it...etc.

later i want to try spliting,regex-es..etc.
It is very hard to figure out how to use these modules.. :"(