[Haskell-cafe] Monads in Scala, XSLT, Unix shell pipes was Re: Monads in ...

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Sun Nov 27 04:58:50 EST 2005

Hello Greg,

Saturday, November 26, 2005, 8:25:38 PM, you wrote:

GW> Maybe this is a different topic, but exploring concurrency in Haskell
GW> is definitely on my "to do" list, but this is really a bit of a puzzle.
GW> One thing I've been thinking lately is that in functional programming
GW> the process is really the wrong abstraction (computation is reduction,
GW> not a sequence of steps performed in temporal order). But what is
GW> concurrency if their are no processes to "run" concurrently? I've beren
GW> thinking about action systems and non-determinism, but am unsure how
GW> the pieces really fit together.

for pure functional computations concurrency is just one of
IMPLEMENTATION mechanisms, and it doesn't appear in abstractions
DEFINITIONS

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com