[Haskell-cafe] Can anyone help me with partition numbers?

Fan Wu wufan9418 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 13:59:47 EST 2005

partition n = part n $ map (:[]) [1..n]
              where
                  part n [] = []
                  part n (x:xs)
                    |  s == n    = x: r
                    |  s > n     = r
                    |  otherwise = foldr (:) (part n $ map (:x) [h..n-1]) r
                    where
                       h = head x
                       s = sum x
                       r = part n xs

Main> partition 4
[[4],[2,2],[3,1],[2,1,1],[1,1,1,1]]   -- I guess the order doesn't matter here.

I myself is a newbie to Haskell. Every time I finished some code like
this I was amazed at the elegance and expressiveness of the language.
It's simply a different experience which you can't get from C/C++.

I hope you have spent enough time on it before you look at this,
otherwise you just missed some fun Haskell/homework/life has offered
you:-)

Cheers,
Fan