[Haskell-cafe] Monads in Java, Joy, OCaml, Perl, Prolog, Python, Ruby, and Scheme was Re: Other languages using monads?

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Thu Nov 24 16:40:53 EST 2005

Shae Matijs Erisson wrote:
> Gregory Woodhouse <gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net> writes:
>>My knowledge of functional programming is pretty much limited to Haskell,
>>Scheme, and a smattering of Common Lisp. Are there languages other than
>>Haskell that explicitly use monads? How about "not so explicitly"?
>

> Java http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dherman/code/monads/JavaMonads.tar.gz
> Joy http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.concatenative/1506
> OCaml https://mailman.rice.edu/pipermail/metaocaml-users-l/2005-March/000057.html
> Perl http://sleepingsquirrel.org/monads/monads.html
> Prolog http://logic.csci.unt.edu/tarau/research/PapersHTML/monadic.html
> Python http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/439361
> Ruby http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/writings/programming/monads-in-ruby/00introduction.html
> Scheme http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dherman/research/tutorials/monads-for-schemers.txt

Yes, there are plenty.  But none of them capture it quite as well
as Haskell, IMHO, because the Haskell overloading makes it look
particularly nice and succinct.

And the second question about "not so explicitly", you could say
that any language uses an implicit monad.  It's where you throw
in all the effects.

	-- Lennart