[Haskell-cafe] Function application like a Unix pipe

Bill Wood william.wood3 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 23 22:02:42 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 21:21 -0500, Cale Gibbard wrote:
   . . .
> Hmm, which edition? My copy (5th ed.) uses the ordinary notation: f(x).
> x f does perhaps make more sense, especially with the current
> categorical view of functions, but there would have to be a really
> hugely good reason to change notation, as almost all current work puts
> things the other way around.

My copy reads
   First published 1997 by
   Prentice Hall Europe
   (Address lines)
   Copyright Prentice Hall Europe 1997
   ISBN 0-13-507245-X

It's hardcover, white cover with red around the spine (standard for this
series edited by C.A.R. Hoare), black banner with "100th title" in red.
The lack of any edition information leads me to surmise it's a first

Do you (or anyone) know if the "diagrammatic notation" has any currency
among algebraists?

 -- Bill Wood