[Haskell-cafe] Function application like a Unix pipe

Scherrer, Chad Chad.Scherrer at pnl.gov
Wed Nov 23 11:55:39 EST 2005

Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielmann.de> writes:

>   I want to say, that the order of symbols for ($), (.) and
> function application is consistent. This is a fine thing. I
> think that shall not be distroyed by giving ($) and (.)
> reversed argument order.

I see. I like the argument order also, since it so nicely reflects
mathematical notation. But I do think there's a place for (flip ($)) and
(flip (.)). The problem is that the assignment of fixities is much more
subtle and requires a consideration of what should be considered "proper
style".

Chad Scherrer
Computational Mathematics Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." -- Groucho Marx