[Haskell-cafe] Records

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 06:45:02 EST 2005

Just my 2p worth... If I were designing a language I would not have used
the '.' like Haskell does. One problem is that ascii does not support
enough symbols (Hmm, PL1 here we come). I guess my vote would go to
keeping the '.' as is to not break existing programs, and using a
different symbol for record access and qualified names... however '.'
works well for DNS names:

    a at f -- function composition (people are used to reading the @
backwards due to emails)
    M.f -- qualified naming...
    f?f -- record access...

really needs more symbols... of course the problem then becomes entering
them on a "normal" keyboard.

    Keean.