[Haskell-cafe] Records (was Re: [Haskell] Improvements to GHC)

Max Eronin reductor at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 15:58:14 EST 2005

On 11/18/05, Sebastian Sylvan <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not saying it's impossible to make good use of (.), I'm saying
> that it's not crucial enough to warrant giving it the dot, which in my
> opinion is one of the best symbols (and I'd hand it over to record
> selection any day of the week!).
> I'm also saying that people tend to abuse the (.) operator when they
> start out because they think that "less verbose == better", whereas
> most people, in my experience, tend to stop using (.) for all but the
> simplest cases (such as "filte (not . null)") after a while to promote
> readability. I prefer adding a few lines with named sub-expressions to
> make things clearer.

In case someone counts votes pro et contra of replacing (.) operator,
I must say that find it one of the most useful and readable way for
doing many different things (not only higher-order). And very compact
And in my code it is very common operator.
While if somebody, who at this moment counts my vote, will remove
records from the language some day, I very likely wouldn't notice such
a loss.
And I can't say I'm very experienced haskell programmer. Actually I'm
a beginner comparing my experience with other, particularly imperative
OOP languages.
And records with (.) as field selector (coupled with dumb
constructors) will be the last thing i would miss in haskell.