[Haskell-cafe] Spurious program crashes

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Nov 21 11:34:54 EST 2005

One thing, which I am sure you must have got right, but which burned me,
is that you must explicitly free enitities created by FFI calls.

For example network sockets exist outside of the haskell runtime, and
are not free'd automatically when a haskell thread is killed, you need
an explicit exception handler to close the handle... They may eventually
be garbage collected - but your application may run out of resources
before this happens.

    Keean.