[Haskell-cafe] Records (was Re: [Haskell] Improvements to GHC)

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 06:23:47 EST 2005

On 11/21/05, Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang at jeltsch.net> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 20. November 2005 12:28 schrieb Jesper Louis Andersen:
> > [...]
>
> > The best argument I can come up with when advocating lines of 80 chars
> > for most programming code is subtle, but important:
> >
> > Code is easier to read for me when it is printed on good old paper.
> > a2ps(1) is magnificient, but it takes 80 chars only if you want two
> > pages on a single A4. Quite a number of projects violates the 80 column
> > principle with the result it is unreadable on print.
>
> Hmm, printing code on paper isn't good for the environment.
>
> > The human eye is not good at scanning long lines.
>
> This is a good argument.

Also that terminals etc. usually have 80 chars width. It may be time
to stop worrying about code width, especially in languages like
Haskell where you tend to use horizontal rather than vertical space to
write your algorithms. But still, I always try to stick under 80 chars
if possible to make it readible in terminals (and some email-clients
etc.).

/S

--
Sebastian Sylvan