[Haskell-cafe] Records (was Re: [Haskell] Improvements to GHC)

Benjamin Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Fri Nov 18 16:22:04 EST 2005

On Friday 18 November 2005 02:59, you wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2005, at 1:52 PM, Benjamin Franksen wrote:
> > Yes, yes, yes. I'd rather use a different operator for record
> > selection.
> > For instance the colon (:). Yes, I know it is the 'cons' operator
> > for a
> > certain concrete data type that implements stacks (so called
> > 'lists'). However I am generally opposed to wasting good operator
> > and function names as well as syntactic sugar of any kind on a
> > /concrete/ data type,
> > and especially not for stacks aka lists.
>
> Would you be happier if it were the "yield" operator for iterators?
>
> Yours lazily,

Ok, ok, I tend to forget that Haskell lists are lazy streams, not just
simple stacks... which makes them indeed a /lot/ more useful than the
corresponding data type in strict languages.

I still think all those nice short and meaningful names in the Prelude
(map, filter, ...) should be type class members in some suitable
standard collection library.

Ben