[Haskell-cafe] Formalizing lazy lists?

Greg Woodhouse gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 18 13:37:47 EST 2005

Maybe this is old hat, but the question about detecting loops in data
structures got me thinking about this. I know you can encode the cons
operator (and ordinary lists) in pure lambda calculus, but how could
you possibly represent something like [0, 1..]? One thought that
occurss to me is to treat it ass a kind of direct limit, but of course,
the essence of a structure like this is that the ith entry is
computable in a natural way, and it seems that an algebraic limit
couldn't really capture this intuition unless we were to introduce some
sort of higher order structure (which may be what we want, anyway).

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net>

"Interaction is the mind-body problem of computing."

--Philip Wadler