[Haskell-cafe] Semantics for FP?

Gregory Woodhouse gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 15 01:34:25 EST 2005

First of all, I'm very new to Haskell (but very impressed). I
remember having a lot of fun with Lisp as an undergrad, and recently
started working with Scheme (and having a great time at it), and so I
decided to look into Haskell. Like everyone else, I was totally
impressed by the two line quicksort -- and hooked.

Unfortunately(?), though, FP seems to pose a bit of a challenge from
a semantic point of view. I remember being very impressed with
"Dynamic Logic" (Harel et al.), and it really changed my way of
thinking about programming languages. But are Kripke structures even
of any relevance to Haskell and FP? Well, in order to think it
through, I've been experimenting with the idea of reduction providing
the basic accessibility relation. That's why I've been asking
seemingly off-topic questions about lambda calculus and C-R (well-
definedness).
===
Gregory Woodhouse
gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement
  of everyday thinking."  -- Albert Einstein