[Haskell-cafe] How to use a wiki to annotate GHC Docs? was Re: [Haskell] Re: Making Haskell more open

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Fri Nov 11 11:52:15 EST 2005

Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk> writes:

> > >  ... And avoid
> > >   getting screwed up by malicious folk?
> >
> >     ...   but I believe there are a number of people who regularly
> > review all the "Recent Changes" and undertake to 'undo' any
> > malicious/inaccurate modifications.
>
> I suspect this would end up adding /more/ work to central maintainers,
> rather than less.

Recently the Haskell Wiki went from anonymous edits to logged-in edits because
of the tremendous amount of wikispam, so I agree with this.
On the good side, it's easy to create an account.
On the bad side, at some point spambots will notice this too.

Fermat's Last Margin was originally planned to annotate images attached to wiki
pages. Someone on #haskell suggested using SVG instead, and someone else showed
me that pstoedit can produce SVG from pdf and ps files.
So, generalized markup annotation might be a good approach.

Since Fermat's Last Margin is just a darcs-backed wiki, that might be simpler.
If the ghc-docs were viewable and editable in a wiki format, and the changes
were saved to a darcs repo, then the maintainers could just pull the changes
they like, and flush useless changes like spam.
--
Shae Matijs Erisson - http://www.ScannedInAvian.com/ - Sockmonster once said:
You could switch out the unicycles for badgers, and the game would be the same.