[Haskell-cafe] Re: FPS: Finalizers not running (was Memoryusageoutside of the Haskell heap)

Jan-Willem Maessen jmaessen at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 8 08:48:23 EST 2005

On Nov 7, 2005, at 9:02 AM, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> ...Simon, can you please write some docs about all these foreign stuff
> and their interaction with pure Haskell code? i see some bits of this
> information in these newsgroups regularly (for example, are you
> remember discussion about using lots of hashtables in program?), but
> there is no definitive source

Just wanted to let people know that I've been working on improving
Data.HashTable, with the help of Ketil Malde's badly performing code
and a bunch of locally-rolled tests.  Things are looking much better
now, but will look better still when Simon M's GC fixes are more
widely deployed (which ought to make the extant code perform much
better).  I'm still not satisfied with any of the solutions, in part
because I don't know whether they will also improve when I apply the
GC fixes; if they don't ehy'll merely be on a par with the current
library, and I only intend to release something which actually
appears to work better in practice.

That said, none of the HashTable problems had anything to do with
foreign code.

I've also created a QuickCheck suite for testing Data.HashTable.
Very handy.  I don't know if there's a standard way to release
testing code for extant libraries...

-Jan-Willem Maessen