[Haskell-cafe] Composition of Type Constructors

Jan Christiansen jac at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Wed May 25 06:44:38 EDT 2005

Hi!
I would like to define a type class for a data structure that supports
a lookup and an update function like the following one.

class Mapping map key where
   lookup :: key -> map v -> v
   update :: key -> (v -> v) -> map v -> map v

Now I want to lift this to a class instance for tuples of keys. This
should be done by just using a map that contains another map as
values.
The problem is that I don't know how to express the composition of
type constructors like the function (.) for ordinary functions. I know
that (map1 . map2) is wrong but it states what I want to express,
namely the composition of two type constructors. With this I would
like to define an instance definition like the following.

instance (Mapping map1 key1, Mapping map2 key2)
       => Mapping (map1 . map2) (key1, key2) where
   lookup (key1, key2) = lookup key2 . lookup key1
   update (key1, key2) f = update key1 (update key2 f)

I am not sure about the practical pertinence of this example cause
I will probably only use one instance where the type of the keys is
Int but I am curious if this is possible at all.

thanks in advance, Jan