[Haskell-cafe] Python?

Lemming schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Wed May 11 17:00:08 EDT 2005

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> This might be a strange question to ask on a Haskell list, but I do want
> to hear your opinions. What do you think of Python?

I learnt it some years ago to do some simple text processing. Eventually
I used it for three small projects. I learnt to hate dynamic typing, I
learnt to hate that a forgotten 'return' is interpreted as 'return
None', I didn't like that some types were mutable and others not. The
documentation is poor due to missing types. Maybe it is due to the
documentation (indexing) or because of the module structure, but it is
hard to find the functions you need. I found that regular expressions
are not of that big help for parsing texts. I missed some support for
processing data 'on the fly'. Haskell's laziness makes a great job in
this respect. I'm now porting one of my Python projects to Haskell and
it is really more fun.