[Haskell-cafe] Python?

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma at info.unicaen.fr
Wed May 11 01:49:38 EDT 2005

Michael Vanier wrote:

>I have enough problems convincing people to learn Scheme.  I've
>even had people beg me to teach them Matlab as a first programming
>language, because that is the only language that they needed to get their
>work done.  Telling them that Matlab's programming language is a creeping
>horror doesn't sway them at all.

Now, why so?
I won't defend the Matlab language too strongly, but I used it
for teaching scientific computations, I exploited the vectorized
expressions, I used objects, and even a lot of functional
constructs. I don't see any reason to call it a creeping horror.
It is quite homogeneous and simple, and is decently interfaced.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk