[Haskell-cafe] Specify array or list size?

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Sat May 7 14:32:46 EDT 2005

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <antti-juhani at kaijanaho.info> writes:

>> > As far as I know, the last programming language that included
>> > arrays' sizes in their types was Standard Pascal,
>>
>> There have been many such languages since Standard Pascal.  For
>> example C, C++, C#, Java, Ada, VHDL, and NU-Prolog.
>
> C, C++ and Java do not belong to that list.  I can't speak about the
> others, not being very familiar with them.

Java and C# don't belong to that list, but C and C++ do.
I don't know about others.

> In C and C++, the declaration int n[50]; introduces an array variable
> with size 50 having the type "array of int".  The size is *not* part of
> the type.

No, it introduces a variable of type "array of 50 ints", which can be
converted to "pointer to int".

It matters when you make a pointer of such arrays, an array of such
arrays, or sizeof such array. In C++ the size can be matched by
template parameter, and you can have separate overloadings for
separate array sizes.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl