[Haskell-cafe] Speed comparison?

Gracjan Polak gracjan at acchsh.com
Wed May 4 03:56:32 EDT 2005

Daniel Carrera wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > Thank you for all the information on my previous question. I learned a
 > lot, and good pointers to more info.
 >
 > My next question is about speed. How fast would you consider Haskell?
 > (say, for computational work). How would you compare it to C, Python and
 > Ruby?

I started a small project in Ruby some time ago. It involved a bit of
parsing and moving quite large binary data around. In Ruby speed was
real problem so I looked for another language and ended up with...
Haskell :)

Speed of GHC compiled programs is ok for me, but if you need handling of
binaries FFI is your very good friend!

I cannot say anything about OCaml or Python, though.

--
Gracjan