[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell vs OCaml

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Tue May 3 18:31:33 EDT 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> Its type system has some interesting features: polymorphic variants,
> parametric modules, labeled and optional arguments, objects, variance
> annotations of type parameters used for explicit subtyping.
>
> It has more convenient exceptions: the exn type can be extended with
> new cases which look like variants of algebraic types.
>
> There is camlp4 for extending the syntax or changing it completely.

I have been able to build ocaml everywhere I have wanted it, including
the native code compiler.  I suppose this isn't so much a feature of
Objective CAML (the language) as ocaml (the implementation), but given
the choice of a language I can actually use on a given platform, I am
predisposed to have a soft spot for its other virtues like predictable
execution and a relatively rigorous OOP model when you want it.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com