[Haskell-cafe] A few questions on using Cabal

Niklas Broberg niklas.broberg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 05:37:33 EST 2005

I've just started experimenting with the new Cabal system, and I must
say it's really sweet. Thanks a lot to all involved!

After trying it on some simple tasks I have collected a few questions:

* What about 'setup uninstall'? Surely there should be an automatic
way of uninstalling packages and executables?

* Is there some way to direct the installation of a package to an
auxiliary package-conf file, i.e. separate from the 'global' and
'user' package databases?
E.g. 'runhaskell Setup.hs register --package-conf=foo.conf' (doesn't work)

* Is there some way to bundle several packages into a single
installation unit? Similar to how you can specify several executables,
or executables and a library package, I would want a way to say that a
bundle will install several (possibly interrelated) packages at the
same time.

* If I specify a library package and an executable in the same cabal
bundle, where the executable uses the library, the files that make up
the library get compiled twice. Once when setting up the package, and
then again when compiling the executable. How come?

That's all for now, possibly more to come later. =)

/Niklas